In divorce, deciding what to do with the house can become a huge source of strife, confusion, and even financial ruin. Most are unprepared for the unique legal, financial, and emotional ramifications of either holding on to or selling their house at one of the worst times in their life.
The House Matters in Divorce presents the numerous legal, emotional, and practical challenges of equitably settling your marital home—and offers specifics on how to handle those issues and who to turn to for professional help. This book clears up common misconceptions about dividing real estate assets and empowers both parties to be proactive, make smart decisions, and emerge from this complex process financially sound and prepared for the future. It includes detailed information on:
• Whether to sell or not
• Common pitfalls that plague the uninformed • How to determine what the house is really worth
• Making housing decisions that are truly in your children’s best interests
• What to do about the deed and the mortgage if one spouse stays in the home
• Proceeds of the sale (if any) and what to do if there is no equity
• The court’s perspective and power
Learn how best to deal with your most important financial asset—your home—from a real estate expert who specialize in divorce. Get the facts about how to make wise and purposeful choices to set yourself up for success as you move forward with building a new life—a life that includes financial health.