Santo Domingo - Discovering the Colonial Zone and Beyond
== Immerse yourself in the culture of the oldest city in the Western Hemisphere. ==
A city of New World "firsts" - first cathedral, paved street, hospital, palace, tavern and many more.
-- Why Get This Guide? --
* Includes pictures of all major sites from the 15th through 20th century
* Use the brief history of each site to fine tune your visit to suit your special interests
* Experience the Colonial Zone without needing to hire a guide
* Easy reading
-- Inside This Guide --
* Fantastic photos of all major historical attractions including churches, museums, streets, ruins, and more
* Enough historical insight to help you understand why the site is worth your time to visit
* Opening hours, cost of admission where applicable, and directions for all sites
* Photos and descriptions of sites along the city's beautiful seaside boulevard, The Malecon, and other sites beyond the Colonial Zone
* Descriptions of the city's annual Carnaval and Merengue Festival
* Details to help with when to go, what to pack and how to get to and around in the city
* A flexible self-guided tour that includes all major "must-sees" in the Colonial Zone
* The role of Admiral Christopher Columbus and his family in founding and establishing the colony
* Little known facts about the discovery of the vault containing the remains of the Great Admiral
* Description of many of the key 15th century figures and their role in the colony's expansion
* The emergence of the Dominican Republic from a turbulent history of occupation by other countries
* The era of Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, the Dominican Republic's dictator president, and how he dominated the pysche of all Dominicans
* The role of key Dominican figures in fighting for the freedom of fellow countrymen from all occupying forces including Trujillo
-- Stylish and Feature-Packed --
* Detailed information on opening hours, prices, addresses, telephone numbers and email addresses
* Honest reviews and independent advice
* Inspiring with stunning photos
* Stylish and easy to use
-- About the Author --
Mazel Pernell has visited more than 35 countries on six continents. She especially loves visiting the core of the oldest section of World Heritage cities such as Santo Domingo. She’s fascinated with learning about the history of the place through its museums, statues, parks, churches and original homes.
In her spare time, Mazel is a tour guide in Washington, DC. She is a photographer and the publisher of http://www.itchyfeettraveler.com where she shares her travel experiences with readers. Mazel also works as a freelance writer.
-- About GuideGecko --
This guide is brought to you by GuideGecko.
We publish worldwide travel guides - and we love to hear your feedback. Our guides are independently researched and written by professional travel writers.
You read 'til here? Now enjoy your trip. Get this guide!