Rut-Busting Book for Writers, a 2018 Notable Indie by Shelf Unbound and a Best Book Awards finalist by American Book Fest, is for writers who are stuck in creative ruts and unable to move forward. It has strategies and proactive suggestions from other writers who have "been there and done that" and are now willing to share their knowledge and experience.
The book covers the following topics:
• The Power of Passion - Why it's important to keep your passion for writing burning strongly and how to handle those times when the writing "flame" starts to go out.
• What's Your Rut? - How to identify three common writing ruts and what you can do to break out of them.
• Your Writing "Road Map" - Why it's not enough to "want to write" and how having a writing plan can make you more productive as a writer.
• Raising the Bar - How it can be all too easy to settle for writing "just good enough to get by" and why you need to stretch yourself creatively on a regular basis.
• It's All About Connections - Why you need to build relationships with other writers and how attending writing-related events is essential for professional and creative development.
• The Money Issue - How to handle "talking money" with editors or clients and why you need to start from a "position of power" when setting and negotiating your rates.
• "Thanks, But No Thanks" - How to overcome the negative feelings that accompany rejections and what you can learn from hearing "Thanks, but no thanks" from editors, clients, agents, or publishers.
• Writing Roadblocks - How to recognize writing roadblocks and what to do when they get in the way of your writing.
• The Procrastination Predicament - How to overcome the tendency to "put off until tomorrow" your writing goals and what are some of the reasons you tend to procrastinate.
• Creating Your Writing Space - Why you need to have a dedicated writing space and what are some off-site options that can serve as your temporary writing "home."
• Your Writing Toolbox - Why you need to have some writing "tools" to get you started and keep you going and why you need to build in some "fun writing" time in your schedule.
• Living the Writing Life - How to follow the 5 Cs of Living the Writing Life: confidence, courage, curiosity, commitment, and creativity.
By following the tips in this book, writers will spend less time trapped in their writing rut and more time following their creative passion!