Learning is a Pleasure Dr. J.A.L. Theron
Why This Book On Study Methods?
A massive amount of scientific and other knowledge is currently being stored in libraries and computers in countries all over the world. While education is obligatory in many countries, very few state education departments attach sufficient priority to students’ access to this information as well as the accumulation and retention thereof. It is thus untenable to expect from students to attain required standards of successful learning while they are not efficiently equipped to achieve these standards. The stress and strain that students experience in this situation not only lead to poor academic results but also to a concomitant lack of pressure in the study process. The book, Learning is a Pleasure, is thus aimed at rectifying this widely prevalent unfair self-defeating situation endemic to study procedures. I believe that the contents of this book and the application of the relevant information will assist students, parents and teachers to not only achieve success in the study process but also make study a joyful experience because of the rewards that accompany success.
The book covers the following elements involved in the process of successful, rewarding and enjoying learning:
• What happens when you are studying
• What factors influence the learning process?
• Types of students
• How to get organized/prepared for study
• How to improve your motivation
• How to improve your concentration
• How to improve your memory
• How to improve your reading skills and reading speed
• How to improve your note-taking
• How to study systematically
• How to deal with examinations
• What can parents do to make learning a pleasure for their children?
• What can teachers/lecturers do to make learning a pleasure to their students?
• Basic guidelines for daily study program planning