Deliver your next capital project on-time and on-budget with Advanced Work Packaging
AWP has quickly emerged as a core best practice in capital project execution because its construction-driven approach delivers unrivaled results. In this pioneering handbook, distinguished Advanced Work Packaging (AWP) inventor and leader Olfa Hamdi distills a decade of hard-won insight and experience into a comprehensive, practical guide for AWP implementation.
The first book of its kind, Advanced Work Packaging: Guide to Life Cycle Implementation offers an actionable, easy-to-understand handbook for capital project professionals who are applying AWP in their organizations.
Featuring short, clear, step-by-step explanations and a robust table of contents, this book is destined to sit on the corner of every capital project practitioner's desk. It includes:
- A complete list of AWP definitions, acronyms, and project stages
- 29 ready-to-use flow charts, release plans, timelines and matrices
- Practical introduction to Construction Work areas and Work Breakdown Structure
- A detailed guide to construction-driven planning
- Step-by-step instructions for detailed engineering
- A comprehensive look at all four phases of Workface Planning
- Robust instructions for monitoring and control
- An overview of roles and responsibilities
Author Olfa Hamdi has been called a "standout talent" and "one of the brightest minds" in capital project execution today. A Tunisian-born, American-trained engineer, inventor, and entrepreneur, she was lead researcher on the seminal guide to Advanced Work Packaging published by CII in 2013 and founded the not-for-profit AWP Institute. Most recently she co-founded Concord Project Technologies, the world's first and only ISO 9001 certified provider of AWP consulting, training, and certification programs. She speaks four languages and travels widely to promote AWP to the capital projects sector. Olfa splits her time between Washington, D.C. and Tunis.
Practical, complete, step-by-step explanations to support new and experienced practitioners
Advanced Work Packaging: Guide to Life Cycle Implementation is thorough,
rigorous, and clear, informed by Hamdi's work with hundreds of front-line practitioners
over the past decade. She knows the most asked questions and understands where organizations slip off track. Just some of the critical elements she explains include:
- Exactly how to write and read a standard WBS number;
- Precisely what information should be contained in high-quality, executable work packages at each stage of construction;
- How to create work package matrices to surface planning anomalies before they become expensive construction problems;
- What each person on the team is responsible for, and when;
- Much, much more.
Purpose-built to be used as a handy reference in construction-driven organizations
Advanced Work Packaging: Guide to Life Cycle Implementation provides a comprehensive introduction to AWP and has been uniquely designed to be used as a reference for working capital project professionals and a textbook for colleges and universities.
In her work with capital project teams, Hamdi discovered that even well-trained, disciplined and high-functioning teams often struggled with early AWP implementation because the volume of new information was difficult to retain. This book keeps key information in a single handy volume that can be used by all members of a team to maintain alignment throughout the entire project lifecycle.