Are you of Guyanese descent?
Did your parents, grandparents or other relatives come from Guyana to make a new life elsewhere?
Do you want to teach your own children about famous and important Guyanese people?
Guyana has had its share of famous and influential people throughout its history and it's important that we hold on to their memories and teach our children about who they were and what they have achieved.
From the worlds of politics, sports and theatre to name just a few, Guyanese people have contributed much to their local communities and the world in general. Now, in this book, A Guyanese Alphabet: 26 Iconic Guyanese People to Know, you can teach your children about some of the icons of this small but prominent country, such as:
- Cheddi Jagan, one of the founding fathers of the country
- International squash player Nicolette Fernandes
- Hugh Desmond Hoyte, the third president who fought against poverty
- Businesswoman Lyla Kissoon
- Poet and political activist Martin Carter
- Actor Norman Beaton
- Valerie Rodway, a composer and musician
- And more...
With a snapshot of the lives of these influential trailblazers to ignite their interest, your child can then embark on further reading to learn even more about each of these people who have all played a part in Guyana's emergence and transformation.